28 October 2012

Our house is a very fine house

As some of you know, in June I moved from my parents' house to live with my Missy friend in Sugarhouse. Since then, whenever I visited my parents at the same time as my nephew, Jarom told me that he didn't like that I didn't live there anymore and he wanted me to move back so I would be there when he visited. Well, as you also may know, due to somewhat dramatic circumstances, I did move back about a month ago. I am grateful that my parents have the space available so I can come and go as circumstances dictate my need.

Yes, I am 30 years old and I live at home (again) because I like the stability and support I receive here. In many cultures throughout history and still in many cultures, living situations are a family affair. In some areas many generations live in the same dwelling. In these societies the woman stays with her family until she marries, at which time she moves in with the family of her husband. Now I'm not saying I necessarily want to live with my inlaws when/if I marry, what I am saying is that living in close proximity to family is a source of strength and stability that is desperately lacking in our world today. I struggle a bit with some things and it is comforting to know that no matter what else happens, I need never be homeless.

That tangent was not the purpose of this post. Two weeks ago at dinner someone mentioned that a neighbor's child's family just moved in with them so the young family could save money while building their own house. I jokingly commented that I was also living with my parents until my own house could be built. Jarom, sitting beside me grabbed on to this idea of building a house for me. He said he would come to help and that he would bring the food and snacks for when we needed a break. Then he asked when we would start. I told him we needed blueprints first so we would know what the house would look like and how to build it. He jumped off his chair and went in search of something. A moment later he came back carrying paper and a pencil.

My dear, sweet, adorable 6-year-old nephew then set to work drawing my house, front and back.  It's funny that what he drew was only the outside view of the house rather than the rooms required and desired for living.  The sweet simplicity of children! :)

 Front of the house made by Jarom




 I'm not sure what the door on the top between the windows is for, I guess a quick escape in case of emergency or something.

The squiggle in the middle of the back yard is grass, I think.  And yes, there are three swimming pools in the front yard of my house.  Can you tell what Jarom likes to do for fun?








 Back of the house made by Jarom





The back yard is even more exciting!  The house itself looks the same, windows and doors in the same places, funny kid. 

That is another, incredibly large swimming pool in the back yard.  Right beside the pool is an apple tree.  Above the apple tree is a random banana, not sure what that's about.

If you can't guess, the two fixtures on either side of the house with all the circles above them are sling shots.  I guess we're having a merry war, shooting water balloons or snowballs at each other (depending on the season). 



As we were discussing the drawings, my mom mentioned that Jarom had told her a few days before that he thought I should have 1600 children, 800 girls and 800 boys.  I guess that's why there are so many swimming pools.  I don't know what the boy was thinking.  I guess some day I could open an orphanage or something, but 1600 children seems like an awful lot to handle all at once...especially if I have to keep them all from drowning in all those swimming pools!

When he was done drawing the pictures, Jarom took the paper and used a magnet to put it on the refrigerator where it has stayed.
Today when he came to dinner, he pulled the paper from the refrigerator and said, "Hey Laura!  Remember this!?"  I told him I remembered.  He said, "In your house you have 100 hot dogs!"  To which I replied, "But I don't like hot dogs." He said, "They're for me when I come over!  I can eat them three at a time!"  Okay, whatever you say!

Ha ha ha!  What a funny kid!  Jarom will always be one of my all-time favorite people in all the world!  I hope he never loses his fantastic imagination!

No comments:

Post a Comment