14 September 2009

The Face in the Mirror

I walked by a mirror and saw the face of someone I hoped had gone
I thought I would never see her again but it seems that I was wrong
For she stared through me with eyes ablaze in memory of lives past
She called to me and she beckoned me to step back through the glass
The world where she lives is one of pain, of darkness, fear and sin
But also a place where no one cares who, what or where I've been
For a moment I stood motionless, my heart pulsing in my ears
Unable to think, unable to breathe, trembling and close to tears
What do I do when faced with this choice, should I go or should I stay?
Where is the guide to give me strength, sustain me and show the way?
Is it a mask I'm wearing now or is the lie the face in the mirror?
How do I know the truth from the lie underneath all my fear?
Is there a place between here and there where I can just be free
To live and to breathe in joy and in peace? Is the choice really up to me?
The face in the mirror was lovely once, but now it's weary and worn
So I turn away from the death and dismay to a life that's newly reborn
The face in the mirror may always remain to remind me of the past
But now I will choose the better way that will lead me home at last.
~ ff

No comments:

Post a Comment