08 November 2010

let us all speak kind words to each other

If someone hit me or caused some sort of physical harm I don't think I'd have much of a problem forgiving them. I might stew over it until the wound heals, but once the painful reminder is gone, it'd be done.
You know the old adage, "Sticks and stones can break my bones but words can never harm me"? I don't agree. For me, words cut more deeply than any knife and break me more easily than wood or rocks. The hurtful things people say stick with me and come up at the most inconvenient times. I know that these things are mostly false, lies they used in a moment of anger or when they are consumed by their own insecurities or selfishness, but for reasons I can't explain, I can't seem to rationalize them away. It's been said that it takes 5 compliments to counteract 1 criticism or cutting remark. So I'm in need of about 50 compliments right now to discount the 10 negatives that are still circling in my head. I'm trying to tell myself how wonderful I am, and how incorrect these hurtful thoughts are, but it's difficult to believe myself.

I've been thinking a lot about the things we say to each other. I'm on a quest to infuse the people I know with enough positive thoughts of themselves that when someone criticizes them, they won't be affected. I don't know if it'll work, but it's worth a try. So, I'm trying to not criticize or say anything negative about people, and I'm making a point of giving sincere and genuine compliments instead. :)

1 comment:

  1. Here're my thoughts about Laura (being remembered from like 6 years ago when we hung out a lot):
    -You know how to have fun, but you also know how to be serious when a friend needs you.
    -You're a great writer.
    -I love your laugh.
    -You can always be relied upon.
    -You make others smile because it makes you smile.

    I hope these help you. Remember that you're loved.

    ReplyDelete