26 February 2011

Radio Silent

I'm not very verbal with my opinions. I don't talk much in general, so in those rare moments when I do become suddenly impassioned about a topic, I need to remember to clench my teeth and walk away. For some reason I still believe that other people are as good at listening as I am. I sit patiently, listen to the opinions of others and generally bite my tongue because I know that my opinion doesn't have any validity to them. I have a few friends who I can have good conversations with. We can have differing opinions, we can listen to each others' point of view and at least accept the other person's opinion as just that without any contention. Tonight was not one of those conversations.

I forget sometimes that I need to keep silent when certain people are talking. They just want to be heard, they don't want to hear. The situation doesn't matter. The conversation doesn't matter. Wat matters is that until I am sure a person knows how to listen and accept another person's perspective, I won't open my mouth.

I'm going to try for radio silence for a while. I don't really think it'll work because, like I said before, everyone wants to at least feel like they're being heard. I can't speak, if I do, it doesn't matter because almost no one listens; so I write. Writing in a public place at least lends the illusion of being heard.

I'll call Bestest Friend tomorrow, she's the one I talk to when I really need someone to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment