04 October 2010

Delighted

Tonight was another great night! The day started out not so well but the rain washed my worries away. 46/50 on a test, A- on a term paper, lots of poetry...school is going really well!

When I got home mom and I were talking and decided we need more seating in the living room. We are totally amazing and moved the love seat from downstairs to the living room upstairs. We had to take it out through the garage then up the front stairs and in through the front door.

FHE was canceled tonight so I organized one of my own. We started out playing a little Star Wars Trivial Pursuit but only about 4 people were really interested in it so we turned on the most amazingly horrible movie ever made. I love it because it is so classic; it's called The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra. So fantastic!

Niv and I chatted for a bit. We've been avoiding conversation with each other for a while. It was nice to talk with her again.

After the movie we sat around and talked for a bit. Z asked everyone the meaning of their surname. My name, Funk, is German and according to ancestry.com it means: nickname for a blacksmith, or for a small and lively or irritable individual, from Middle High German vunke 'spark'. He said he's going to call me Spark now. Sounds good to me; it's always fun to have a new nickname, as long as it is given kindly by a friend. :)

(I just looked up my first name, Laura, and I am delighted to find that it is an Italian name! I knew I had some connection to Italy!)

After the name game, Pola read some stories from The Scary Stories Treasury: Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, and Scary Stories 3 More Tales to Chill Your Bones. I used to love these books when I was a child and a couple years ago I found the trilogy at Barnes & Noble and I just had to buy it! They are not so scary now, more funny really.

Overall, the night went pretty much the way I hoped it would. We had a great time and I laughed so hard I cried! I have the greatest friends and I am so grateful for each of them. I love them dearly and I'm grateful for this time I have to enjoy their company.

~~~~~~~~~~

On my way home from school today I was thinking about the past, and some of my past relationships. I've come to understand some things about friendship. One of the most important is that it's a gift we give to each other. It should not be an obligation or even a necessity, but always a choice.
I've always had a tendency to try to hold on too tight and for too long. I thought that once I found a friend I had to hold on to him/her so they wouldn't abandon me. But now I understand that life takes us in so many different directions and sometimes that means being separated (sometimes for the rest of our lives) from those we have come to love. Separation doesn't always mean we weren't true friends, it doesn't always mean we stopped caring or stopped loving, it's just part of life.

I'm not holding on anymore. I'm just enjoying the time we share with gratitude, and hope it doesn't end too soon.

Sometimes our friends leave unwillingly and unintentionally like BLT. They are called home to Heaven and we are left to miss them, to remember them. I believe we'll meet again in the next life. I believe I will see BLT, Gramma and my other grandparents and family members, my Kari Dawn and other friends again in the next life. I love them and I miss them, and I'm grateful to know that our relationships continue beyond here and now.

Today was good. I hope this is the beginning of a trend. I hope my life is beginning to turn around and that it will only get better from here. I'm doing the best I can and I hope it's finally going to be good enough. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment