29 October 2010

Muse

As Greek myth goes, the nine Muses were the product of an affair between Zeus (king of the Olympian Gods) and Mnemosyne, the goddess of memory. Their mission was to make people forget their sorrows and cares, mainly through the Arts and Sciences.

In modern day, Muses are referred to mainly as a source of inspiration; a sort of supernatural insight that leads to great works of art, literature, music, etc.

As an aspiring writer/poet, and a fan of myth and legend, I like the idea of a Muse infusing me with the words and emotions, light and understanding that lead to great writing. And this idea that the Muses are meant to make people forget their sorrow and cares really makes me open to the idea.

Recently I have found a sort of Muse in my life. Just being around him leads to a feeling of creativity surging through my veins. I'm happiest when he's around. I feel more free to be myself when I'm with him. I forget my sorrows and worries and every care when he's around. He is so much of what I want to be in so many ways. I've recently come to understand why it's so important to surround yourself with the kind of people you want to be like. A lot of people have a tendency to become like those with whom they spend the most time. If you want to be a certain way, spend your time with people who are what you want to be.

I'm so grateful for his friendship; he kinda came out of nowhere, all of a sudden wanting to hang out with the group. The place vacated by the siblings has been more than filled. He's much better for my progress and my general mental and emotional health. He's much more my style of the type of person I want to be around. He's crazy intelligent, simple, yet intricate, and strange beyond words...the whole combination of traits makes him quite delightful. And, as I said, I'm inspired by him. He doesn't have a clue of the impact he has on my life. I'm not sure it would be wise of me to tell him, it might offset the inspiration. Who knows.

I will admit that recently I have toyed with the idea of liking him as more than just a friend. He's fun to flirt with, and he flirts almost instinctively...with any girl who will flirt with him...like I flirt almost instinctively with any guy who will flirt with me (most of the time I don't even know I'm flirting, it's like a reflex). I had forgotten how much fun casual flirting can be! I really like him a lot, but I'm pretty sure he's not interested in me as anything more than a friend since he hasn't asked me out...so I'm not getting my hopes up. He seems to care about me as a friend, he seems to enjoy keeping company with me, and I think we're becoming closer friends. Even if all we ever are is friends, I'm completely content with that.

I love him as a person and as a friend...and as my Muse. And that's good enough. I'm pretty sure that getting involved with a Muse is against the rules anyway. ;-)

I'm pretty sure I benefit more from our friendship at this point than he does. He could probably walk away today and wouldn't miss me at all. That's okay. That's how most of my relationships with people seem to be. I invest more of myself into the relationship more quickly than others do. It makes it harder to see them go, but I'm getting better with that too. As for this boy, music is a major aspect of his life so it's only fitting that I assign him a theme song. The other night I heard a Billy Joel song on the radio that I've decided might be the right song for him at this point. Some of the applicable lines:

If you said goodbye to me tonight
There would still be music left to write
What else could I do?
I'm so inspired by you
That hasn't happened for the longest time.

In fact, I've never been inspired in this way by anyone ever before! I guess it's best if I don't tell him, it might break the magic. I'll just enjoy the art of his friendship for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment