20 February 2010

Blue Moon you saw me standing alone...

La lalalala la la-la *Sigh*

It's not time. It's okay that it's not time.

A roommate once said to me, "Don't worry about it. One of these days you'll open the door and he'll be standing on your doorstep with roses and Michael Buble'." I've been given roses (many, many roses) but I'm still waiting for Michael. *sigh*

It's not the specifics of roses and delicious musician, it's the sentiment. I don't need roses, I don't need expensive concert tickets (although, if you're choosing between concert tickets and pretty much anything else, go with the music!) I want someone to dance with, someone to sing with, someone to laugh with...someone to live and love with...

My theme song right now is Michael Buble's Just Haven't Met You Yet. I crank up the radio whenever it comes on and I splurged to buy the CD so I can listen to it whenever I need a boost. Basically it's my "don't give up, don't get bitter or cynical, just hold on a little longer...he's out there, you just haven't met him yet" pick me up kinda song. I think about those broken hearts in my past and realize (from the other side) that I would be miserable had I ended up with any of them. None of them could dance, not a one! I need dancing in my life. A couple could sing and one could play the guitar pretty well, but a girl can only listen for so long. I hear music and I can't sit still or keep quiet. Nothing makes me happier than dancing and singing.

Whoever came up with speed dating was an idiot. In Utah especially, people have enough speed in their dating as it is, why do we have to encourage it with two hours of organized 3 minute each "dates"? It's completely absurd. There's no way to judge a person's character or really get any idea of the person at all in three minutes of "conversation" in a crowded, noisy room. I was asked by at least 6 different guys tonight where I'm from. How does that tell you anything about me? The next question "what do you do?" is better because you can make some assessment as to motivation or direction, but it's still basic and vague. I tried to be the one to start the conversation so I could keep it away from the normal bland questions, but most of the time it didn't work. Two hours is too long for this sort of thing. We got there an hour into it and most of the people were so bored and cynical they weren't even very good company.
It's one of those strange social rituals I will try in the future to avoid. I've given it a fair chance (tonight was the third strike) and now I don't have to do it again.

One of the guys asked what I like to do. I said a few things and then added, I'll try anything at least once, I like trying new things. He asked what I've tried once and vowed never to try again. I said Sushi...I couldn't think of anything else. Well, I thought of something: SPEED DATING!!! Why must we rush such a life altering and defining event as mate selection? You're pretty much stuck with this person for the rest of eternity, so shouldn't you make sure they are someone you really want to be with for that long? See them in all seasons and various circumstance...drop your guard, let them in to a piece of you and make sure they are someone you want to be open and honest with...someone you can really trust and respect. A lot of people seem trustworthy, even after you've known them for a while...then one day they reveal their true face and it's nothing at all to respect. Makes me sad.

Well, I guess we know why I'm still single... *sigh* But he's out there somewhere. One of these days he'll dance into my life with a sterling rose and concert tickets. He'll change my point of view and we'll be married in three months. Ha! That would be classic.

Until then, I'm content with my friends. They are rather marvelous, after all! Besides family, there's nothing of greater value than good friends. Because, after all, people are what matters! There's even one friend who dances with the nearly the same blissfully reckless abandon as I do...and as an unexpected bonus, he knows about cars! (A secret necessity in my future husband...I've always wanted to marry someone who really knows cars, since car trouble is my greatest fear).

ah lalala...silly me ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment