06 January 2011

Charity is loving even those you don't want to love

Recently I've been throwing a tantrum because the people who are grasping for my attention and kindness are not the one I want to want me. The people I want to be around and spend all my free time with don't seem to care if I'm there or not, while there are at least a handful of other people who are persistently requesting my attention; I don't want to give to them.

I realized the other night as I was complaining about this to God that a few weeks ago I asked Him to bless me with Charity so I could love and help those around me in order to do His work. Well, what I meant when I prayed was to bless me with charity toward those I want to love and serve...what God decided, however, was to teach me true Charity which, I'm beginning to understand, actually means loving everyone, including (and really most particularly) those you don't immediately want to love. I'm also beginning to see that those who are seeking my attention and kindness and friendship are generally the ones who are most in need.

So, I am sorry for being so picky and stingy in my attempts at charity. I'm adjusting my understanding and my attitude and I will do my best to be a better friend to all, especially those who are most in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment