06 May 2010

C-Ya Real Soon

Well, I passed all my classes. I didn't do as well as I could have...or should have...but for the life struggle I had last semester, I'm satisfied with the grades I got.

Human Development: A-
Marriage as an Interpersonal Process: B
Grammar, Style and Usage in Advanced Writing: B
Victorian Literature: C

The part that is most disappointing is that my Victorian Lit class should have been the very highlight of my semester. I loved most of the novels we read and I love almost nothing more than to discuss great literature. But alas, that wretched Grammar class stressed me out like no other. Add in my Gramma's death, Bobpi's betrayal and engagement, and the Weasel trying to slither back into my life, plus the stress of not having a job and running out of money...oh yeah, and being without my computer for two months of the semester. I'm celebrating that I did as well as I did. I count this semester as a triumph and now I'm leaving it behind me.

I'm taking the summer off to find a job and settle some things so that I will be better prepared for fall semester.

One thing I did do right over the last few months is I focused more on people. In the CES Fireside on Sunday, Bishop Burton mentioned that later in life when you look back at all that has been, you won't regret the failed classes or the time you didn't spend at work, what you will regret is time not spent with family and friends. People are what matter. I spent time with my friends this semester. I made and cultivated friendships that I hope will last a long time. I let my friends know that I am someone they can trust, someone they can turn to when they are in need, someone who loves them and wants them to feel needed and important.

Tonight I had five different friends turn to me for comfort, a compassionate ear, guidance, support, and love. I've been struggling to decide what I want to do with my life, what my purpose is, what God would have me do. I think I have my answer. I've always been the person with kindness and a tender heart, always ready to listen, to understand, to accept...and to find a way to help heal.

I've been through a lot in my life. I've had many diverse experiences that have been difficult and often heart-wrenching, but what I've come to understand is that they give me empathy and the ability to understand the troubles and struggles of others in a unique way. I know what you're going through because I've been through something incredibly similar before. Let me help you through it.

So, my path leads toward psychology or social work. I want to help people and I've been blessed with a talent for it. So, that's where I'll focus my ambitions. It's kinda scary to take on that sort of responsibility...especial when I still have a bit of my own healing to do. But I think that's why I felt my major should be Literature/Creative Writing instead of Family Studies, Psychology or Social Work. I'm not to that point yet where I can put my whole self into it. I need to finish working through some things, and getting a BA in something less emotionally straining (now that grammar is over) is the better coarse for now. I'll have a nice little foundation for the next step by minoring in Family Studies. It's a good place to start. And, maybe another reason for majoring in Creative Writing is so I can one day write a book that will help people too. Ya never know what's going to happen in the future.

Anyway, those are my thoughts for tonight. It was a pretty intense evening, but it was fulfilling and I'm glad I could help my dear friends. It's nice to be trusted and needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment