23 June 2010

Your Story

I forgot. I used to be so good at it, but then my life fell in and as I climbed back out of it all, I just forgot.

Tell me your story.

I want to know:

Where you've been
What you've done
What you've been through
Who you are now
Where you're going
etc.

I want to know it all so I can form a more complete picture of you.

For a while I was really good at this. Instead of jumping to conclusions and making snap judgments of people, I would listen carefully and ask the right questions so I could see their point of view, catch a glimpse of their heart (whole or broken, bleeding or mended). In this perspective I knew better how to love them, how to be the friend they needed me to be.

I lost sight of what was important. I was so blinded by my own brokenness that I forgot to remember that other people have hurts too. I was reminded of this as I sat with a friend last night and listened to her broken heart, struggling to make sense of one of her extended trials. To look at her, you'd never even guess at her history, her secret pain. She taught me, reminded me, to open my eyes and look around a little more often.

So, I'm opening my eyes, opening my ears, and trying so hard to close my mouth more often than not. I've had my moment to be loud and work through my heartaches. Now that I'm officially on the mend, it's time to let someone else have the attention.

Tell me your story
I want to know you
I want to hear you
I want to love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment