15 March 2010

Validation

I've been feeling a little inadequate recently.
First of all, I'm not feeling so great about school...I'll be completely blessed if I pass all my classes (right now I'm pretty much aiming for a C in at least two, if not three, out of four). I'm discovering that my real talents lie more in my minor than in my major...but changing at this point will put me further behind schedule.
I still don't have any employment or any real idea what I'm looking for.
My social life is in full force...but my dating life needs quite a bit of resuscitation.

Last night as I lay in bed trying to sleep my mind whirled with such thoughts as: What should I really be doing with my life? Where am I going to find the money to pay my bills? How can I get all my school work done this week? Am I really any good at anything? And other similar concerns.

Today at church I was showered with praise. I was recently made the communications chair and one of my responsibilities is to create a photo directory of ward members with their picture, name, phone number and address (in color). I've been putting off the project, hoping my computer (which is still in repair after almost 7 weeks) would be returned. Well, I couldn't put it off any longer so I worked really hard all week and finally came up with a rather impressive set-up. Everyone raved about it! I got a lot of "You're amazing, wonderful, phenominal" etc. from various people all day. At one point I was referred to as the ward's most valuable member of the day. Ha! That's pretty funny.

Anyway, I don't write this to say, "Hey, look how awesome I am!" My point in writing this is to say, "Well, at least I'm doing something right!" I didn't really need all the praise and validation today, I love my calling and I'm grateful for the opportunity I have to serve in whatever way I can. It was nice and I did bask a little...but really, it was just nice to know that I'm not messing everything up. And really, when it comes down to it, I'd rather be good at this sort of thing than anything else because this is what really counts in the eternal scheme of things. The reason I love this aspect of my calling so much is because it's all about the people. I get to know their faces and names, I get to keep track of their comings and goings in the ward. I get to help other people do the same.

Yes, I'm saying it again, "People are what matter the most!" It's not about the stats, it's not about quotas or getting things done. It's about friendship and fellowshipping. It's about the individuals. Noticing and acknowledging individuals; I'm good at that!

No comments:

Post a Comment