16 November 2009

how much is too much when it comes to the one you love?

Disclaimer: I know it's just a TV show, but I love watching certain kinds of shows because they often lead me to philosophical meditation. Such deep thinking often leads to considering my own beliefs...which then usually helps me adjust my perspective. Besides, the character and plot intricacies also help with my creativity and writing. When a line of dialogue or a plot twist catches my attention it jump-starts my brain and I have to write.

Heroes is one of my favorite TV shows. For the last few episodes Hiro has been trying to save the love of his life, Charlie. He is "master of space and time" so he has been traveling back and forth through time (even though it's killing him because he has a brain tumor) trying to save Charlie. First he saved her from Syler (a.k.a. the brain man) and an aneurism, now from an apparant psychopath who has kidnapped her until Hiro does what he tells him to...or so he said.

The concept of love has been on my mind recently. This week my thoughts on the subject were particularly focused on: how much is too much when it comes to the one you love? Is there a line? How long do you hang on to loving someone? How hard do you fight for them? Is there a point where you just give up and walk away?

Not all my thoughts stem from fiction, here's an example from real life:
I know a couple who have had some really hard times. For the majority of their thirty years together the wife was pretty crazy. She suffered from Depression and Anxiety and she would freak out over the smallest things. She threatened to leave, she threatened suicide and there were times their children wished she would follow through with one of her threats. But she didn't.
I often wonder why the man didn't leave his wife. Why would he stay when she was often so wretched to him? Why would he stay with her, when she got the knife from the drawer and tried to slit her wrist...or when she yelled and threw furnature at him; or used their savings to pursue selfish and irrational dreams?
Was he crazy too? Should he have left?

He didn't leave. He stayed. He never allowed his children to speak badly of their mother, he supported her through everything. They are still together to this day. She got help. She worked things out inside herself (largely because of his love and support) and she is perfectly sane and stable and they are very happy now. Because he loves her enough to endure all and conquer all for her.

I guess this couple is where I get my determination that love (plus patience and understanding) can conquer all. And, Hiro will go to any lengths to save Charlie...with the brain tumor, he may even go to the extent of dying for her.

I would (insert your favorite cliche') for the one I love...but would he do the same for me?

I guess the real question that I'm getting at is:

Do you think love like that really exists in the world today? My heart has that sort of stamina and determination, but am I an exception or the rule?


I wish he'd stayed for me. I wish he'd loved me enough...I wish he'd relied on the answer he got instead of giving up. I wish I'd had the words to tell him it would all be worth it if he could just hang on a little longer. But things don't change because I wish them to. I love him with my whole heart...which means, right now, I love him enough to let him go. If I were selfish I would fight for him, but selfishness has no place in lasting love. He's asked me to let him move on so that is what I am doing. One day someone will come who will love me endlessly and infinitely.

I believe in love that conquers all. I believe it does still exist and that it will exist for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment