03 November 2009

What do you look like when you smile?

I was in a rather strange mood this morning. I don't really know what I was thinking or what came over me but as I was sitting on the bus on the way to school I couldn't help but get a little giddy. There was a guy sitting across from me (we were in the back of the bus so we were facing each other) that I could not stop staring at. I sort of made a game out of it, trying to see if I could get him to look at me but he wouldn't. It was a devious moment like when you talk to people in the elevator just to make them uncomfortable to see what they might do. Anyway, the guy just sat there with a rather straight face, looking everywhere but at me. I wasn't going to say anything but my insides started to riot and I just couldn't keep quiet.

There are two stops for the school, I get off at the second stop so when we got to the first stop I decided that if he stayed until my stop I would say something to him. He stayed so I moved over closer to him and placing my hand on his arm I asked if I could ask him a question. He leaned toward me and said yes. I said with a grin, "I know this sounds weird but, what do you look like when you smile?" He fidgeted for a moment but a smile came across his face and he looked at me. I said, "Ah, you have a very nice smile. I thought you might. I'm sorry for staring at you the whole way, I know it's a little odd but I just thought you would have a nice smile and wanted to see it." or something like that.

Our stop came and I got off. I watched him cross the street...with a smile still on his face. It made me smile all the way to class.

I know I'm random and I probably made him a little uncomfortable, but I made him smile as well and that's always a good thing. Now we both have an unusual story to tell.

Smiling is fun and it makes others smile too. I walked around all day with a (perhaps slightly goofy) grin. It lifted my heart a bit and made other people smile. :-)

4 comments:

  1. that's funny and oh so daring... i would never and i mean NEVER have the guts to do that. but i'm sure you made his day. I loved this story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'm totally surprised you did that! But it definitely makes for a good story! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, I'm surprised as well. I just have these moments of uninhibited psychosis and I do strange and daring things! It's fun actually. Try it sometime, just start talking to some random person and see how they respond.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha! That's awesome! Almost makes me miss riding the bus and trax everywhere. Almost...

    ReplyDelete