05 December 2009

The answers are in what I haven't learned yet

This semester I changed my minor from History to Family Studies. Communication was a prominent topic of study, and one I'm most interested in. I believe communication is the greatest asset to any relationship. Before this class I thought there were only two types of communicaters: those that do and those that don't. Some people just don't like to talk about things. Other people like to talk about everything.

There are actually many different types of communicators and the key to good communication is understanding the types and being able to recognize them in those you converse with.

Had I known this information a year ago, life would possibly be very different today. So maybe the fact that I didn't have this knowledge a year ago is proof that things are what they need to be now. If they were meant to be otherwise, I would have learned it before. Ok. No more looking back. I can't change what has been or what is (except as it relates to the future). Now I know what kind of communicator I am and I know what to look for in those I converse with. So, I can be better from now on.

I'm generally a Validator. I try to talk about the issue until I'm certain both parties involved understand. I have a tendency to get involved with Conflict Minimizers though, and they avoid talking about the issues as much as possible. I get frustrated because I need to understand the other person's perspective and I need to be heard and validated in my perspective. Conflict Minimizers are not good at this. So communication is ineffective and frustrating to both parties. I guess I need a Validator like me.

That understanding is helping me to let go and move forward. I'm still frustrated that I can't work things out when people refuse to be honest and talk to me about things but I'm doing my best to accept them as they are. I'll just keep loving them no matter what and that's enough...in the eternal scheme of things, you never lose by loving. It may take a while to come around, but when you open your heart and love unconditionally, the Universe will always reward you with love.

So, I'm open, I'm loving, I'm hoping. And I'm always learning...

No comments:

Post a Comment