29 December 2009

Break Down the Walls = Communicate

I was talking with Shygirl last night about building walls. Not literal walls, the kind people build inside themselves to keep the rest of the world away from the deep places. It's a defense mechanism. We don't want to get hurt. We've learned that if we let people inside of us, we will be hurt. But what's wrong with a little pain? Doesn't it hurt more to be lonely? Doesn't it hurt more to keep yourself locked away from everyone? Doesn't it hurt to know that no one really knows the real you because you've built your walls so high and so thick?

So why do we do it? Why do we build walls to keep people away? I think it's a weapon of the Adversary. We are stronger together. The scriptures say that Zion (or God's people) are of one heart and one mind; that they are knit together in unity. How can we be knit together in unity when we are all walled up in ourselves, keeping others at a distance? Satan keeps us separate. He puts petty insecurities and differences between us. He feeds us lies and encourages miscommunication. He makes us greedy and selfish and teaches us to keep ourselves away from those who would make us stronger.

This is why people are what matters. This is why we shouldn't let things come between us and our friends. God gives us soul friends, kindred spirits, those who make us better and stronger. Satan takes them away. Satan puts up walls that we don't realize until they are there. He blinds us to the truth and keeps us silent too long. We can't let him win.

I have no walls. I have broken down my walls and I am no longer holding myself back. I will tell the truth (as I see it) when I feel I need to speak up and I hope others will be overtly honest with me as well. I accept everyone. I see everyone as a friend until they prove otherwise (and even some of those I will always keep in my heart as a friend that should have been). I pray for them, I try to communicate with them because communication is the greatest demolisher of walls. I am persistant when I see someone who is desperate to get out. I will bring my pick and chip away until I help to get them out. Shygirl is my greatest example of that. She was walled in so tight that I had to be patient and persistant but we succeeded in breaking her out...at least enough to let me in.

I don't give up on those I love. I don't push them away, I don't neglect them -- especially when they have told me they need me. Let me know and I will always be there when you need a friend, when you need someone to make you strong or see you through. Let me know and I will help you break down your walls. Because I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment