14 December 2009

Family

About six or seven years ago I wrote a poem. I had no idea then how widely applicable it would be. In this moment I am surrounded by people who fit into my poem. They are wounded. They are in need of an understanding heart, a compassionate friend to love them through the healing process. Someone to hear their stories, someone to turn to when the darkness closes in and they can't find the way back into the light.

I've been working through it my whole life. I can't remember a time when I didn't have a shadow and a hurt in the deep place in my heart. I talked to a woman once who does some sort of alternative therapy and she said I came to this earth with this hurt, as though something happened before I was born that wounded my soul. I don't know if that's true, but I do know that somewhere in my existance something happened to me that left a scar that still hurts. Life, my own mistakes, and the carelessness or cruelty of others have left me with more scars.

I used to curse it. I used to plead that God would take the hurt away; go back in time and make it so the hurt never happened. But now I see that there is a purpose in the pain. These experiences make me unusually compassionate toward the suffering of others. I understand the hurts of others in a way that a lot of people don't understand. I think it makes me more forgiving, more patient with the defects of others.

I've experienced a lot in my life. I've experienced a lot more than I think one person should have to experience. And yet, there are so many people who have survived worse. I don't know exactly what they are feeling. I don't know exactly what they are going through. But I understand enough to know they need gentleness, compassion, patience, and support. I can't heal them, though I can add to the cure by being a loyal friend and standing by them no matter what. I can love them and listen to them and keep their secrets until they are ready to release them. I can hold them and catch their tears. I can tell them they are going to be okay, eventually they are going to be okay. I can remind them of the grace and mercy of God. When it feels like He's abandoned them, forsaken them, or even caused the hurt they feel, I can remind them that God is good and will heal them if they trust in Him. I can help to hold them together; I can walk with them until they can stand on their own. I have been there. Some days, I'm still there...

I love everyone. I love each person as a member of my family: brothers, sisters, cousins, whatever relational title you want to assign...you, everyone brought into my sphere of existance, you are my family and I love you. Whatever you need from me, I love you and will do all I can to help you, to lift you, to heal you. Because I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment